Lagos Country Club
The original site of the Club was the hanger of the Royal Air Force by the West African Airways Corporation (WAAC) owned by Anglophone West African Countries of Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone and the Gambia. Upon independence of Nigeria in October 1960 WAAC was changed to Nigeria Airways..
The Club moved from its original site to a second site sharing its boundaries with the Grange School and John Holt Supermarket at the Air Traffic Section Wing of the Murtala Mohammed Airport. The Club however moved to its present site covering over 5 acres on 18th May 1963 and has since achieved modest developments in infrastructure, personnel, members and status since then.
The first Chairman of the Club was Mr. R. Simpson (a Briton) while the first Nigerian was a Medical Doctor Dr. Williams. As at 1951, the membership strength of the Club was a modest range of between 75 and 100. This rose to about 500 in 1963. The Club has grown from the initial section of Snooker/Billiards and a Main Bar + Darts to 10 different Sections.
The Club is governed by “The Constitution 2013”. The first Constitution was revised in 1954. Subsequently Constitutions were also made in 1984 and further revised in 1997. THE LEGAL OWNERS OF THE Club are formed into a Board of Trustees comprising 5 distinguished gentlemen. Lagos Country Club has over the years grown to be regarded as one of the Top Social, Recreational and Sporting Clubs in Nigeria with over 2000 active members, having membership that cuts across nationalities, tribes and multi-cultures.
Lagos Country Club is the premier Family Club in Nigeria.